12/27/2015

My Life in France * PART 1 | preparations, departure

Hello everybody,
It's christmas and that means that I've just returned from one of the biggest adventures of my life. For the past 4 months I've been studying in France in Saumur, now that I'm home i've decided to write something about my experience that may help someone that's planning to go through something similar and give me the opportunity to share all of my stories with you ! But let's go back to the
beginning.


March 2015

This crazy story began in march 2015 when I decided to sign up to study abroad in France, my program was organized by my high school. Every year the send out 8-9 students abroad, to help them with their french and to discover french culture. They offer two semesters, I've decided to go for the first semester because generally it has more advantages than the second one. First of all it's longer (4 months instead of 3 months), you're starting in a class full of people that don't know each other so it may be easier to fit in and lastly it's a lot easier to start from the beginning in every subjects than just arriving in January BTW that's the period of BAC blanc in France (something like SAT testing) and trying to catch up on every subject. SO for me the choice was obvious.

Then as you may imagine a lot of paperworks were filled including some papers for my host family. This period is followed by a long wait you almost forget that you're leaving in couple months.

19th June 2015

It was in June that I've finally got my first mail i was so excited, i couldn't believe that this is really happening, that I'm doing this. In the first mail I've received name of my host family with some details and of course some contact information so i can start to communicate with them. Oh you can imagine how nervous i was when i was about to send my first mail to them, the thoughts in my head like i have to do a good impression, present myself the way i want to i checked my grammar about a million times before hitting send :D

1st July 2015

But then another long wait was ahead of me, the real communication started in July when I first got a picture of my family. I couldn't be happier. I've got a family with two kids that are both almost the same age as i am so a win for me, because this was exactly what i wanted ! Parents were a little older but they looked like nice people.

27th August 2015

My departure date was set for 28th August 2015, the date was slowly approaching and i started to realize that this is getting super real that I'm really leaving my family for the next 4 months. Besides all my fears, i was still excited and couldn't wait to start packing my suitcase, another major challenge for me :D We've put down a strategy with my mom but when i saw my bed full of clothes, papers, shoes and i don't even know what else I didn't believe that my suitcase would be packed in couple hours. But with some miracles (actually couple air compressed bags) we did it ! and my decision became more real than ever.


28th August 2015

The big day arrived, from the moment i woke up i could sense that something's happening. I wasn't hungry and I just wasn't feeling very good. But it was time, time for me to leave for the adventure of my lifetime. I never thought that saying goodbye to my family would be so hard but i was ready to conquer the world !

So this is how it all started, until next time :) Katie





No comments:

Post a Comment