3/23/2016

Baked Rice with Apples * RECIPE | vegetarian

Hello everybody,
let's change it a little bit today, today's recipe is not going to be for a dessert but still it's going to be sweet. I'm talking about a sweet main dish that your kids will just fall in love with. Baked rice is something that kids here in Slovakia just love and it's one of the foods that everybody's grandma once prepared for them. I'm probably weird considering that this was my first time eating baked rice but I must say that I must've been living under a rock or something because this dish is just amazing. It's creamy, fruity, delicious full of flavor, just the perfect comfort food !


Let's get right to the ingredients:

For this recipe you'll need:
350 g of round grain rice
80 g of powdered sugar
135 g of melted butter
6 eggs
1L of milk
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 kg of apples (you can use different fruits, like pears or berries, basically whatever you like)

You're going to start by cooking your rice in the milk with a pinch of salt until all the milk is absorbed and your rice is nice and tender. You want the milk to be boiling during the process so keep an eye on that.


While you cook your rice you can prepare the apples by slicing them to thin strips, the thinner the better. Make sure to stir the rice occasionally so that it doesn't get burned to the bottom of your pot. Once you're done with the apples and your rice is cooked you can turn it off from the heat and prepare your eggs.


First you're going to want separate the yolks from the egg whites in two separate bowls. Then it's time to whisk the egg whites until they from a foam and there's no visible liquid.


Secondly you're going to melt your butter add it to the egg yolks and at the end add the sugar and whisk until smooth. It's very important that if you're using the same electric whisker for the egg whites that you're using for the egg yolks that you first create the egg white foam and then move on and start whisking the yolks otherwise you would have to clean the whiskers really well before moving on to steps.


When you're done combine the egg yolks to the rice, mix well and add the egg whites in the end. Make sure that you combine it all really well. Everything should be very fluffy, foamy, light just like clouds. If you're happy with the rice mixture you can move to the last step and that it's putting everything into your mould, I would recommend using something that is about 20 cm in diameter and at least 10 cm in height because it's going to be pretty big. Grease your form with a little bit of butter.


I started of by putting a 1 cm layer of my rice to the bottom of my form. Try not to pour it cause the rice is usually at the bottom of the pot, you don't want to be getting just the egg mixture that would make a little omelette down there :D Then I layered my apple slices to form a circle, you can style them any way you want them but I like the design that this method gives me the best.


Continue adding as many layers as you want. In my case I layered another thin layer of rice until all of my apples were coated and then once again continued by laying a second layer of my sliced apples.


Then I applied my last layer of rice I just basically poured everything out of the pot distributed it evenly and topped it off with my final layer of sliced apple. You want to keep the best looking apples for this last step because that's the only part that's going to show up. When you're happy with the design you can sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top or a little bit of sugar if you want a caramelized crust and your baked rice is ready to be put right into the oven.



Set your oven to 180°C and bake for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes put it out of the oven and your baked rice with apple is ready to be served. The biggest challenge for me is the serving because it's super hard to get a whole piece especially the first one but let's be honest it really doesn't matter how it looks as long as it tastes good right ?




So there you have it a food that brings childhood memories to a lot of people, I hope that you liked my take on this traditional baked rice recipe. That's all for today until next time, Bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment