3/27/2016

Holidays Potato Salad* RECIPE | Easter

Hello guys,
finally I have something else than a recipe for a dessert for you, it's Easter this week so I decided to share one of our traditional Easter/Christmas recipes with you. Every year it's a tradition that we make potato salad for easter usually with some schnitzels (if you never have had one of these I highly recommend you to try one) nothing different about this year. I think that potato salad is a very personal thing and that almost every family has its own recipe for the best one. I don't know if my recipe is the best one for everybody but it definitely is for me, this recipe comes from my grand grand mother so it's pretty legit I would say :D It's passed along through generations and here I am sharing it with you also. I hope that you'll like this one so let's get to the ingredients.



250 g of sour cream
175 g of mayonnaise
17 medium sized potatoes
6 eggs
1 small red onion
1 can of peas
1 can of mixed peas with baby carrots
1/2 jar of pickles
4 tbsp of pickle juice
1 tbsp of mustard
salt
pepper

First start by cooking your potatoes you can keep the peel on because you're going to peel them after their cooked. You just want to put them into boiling water and let them cook for about an hour or until tender, this will depend on the size of your potatoes. At the same time cook your eggs, you want to get traditional hard boiled eggs so like with the potatoes bring the water to boil and cook for 10 minutes and let them cool down. We usually do these steps the day before because you want your potatoes and eggs to be completely cooled by the time you start making the salad.


Next step is to peel the potato peel, and also peel your hard boiled eggs. Then you'll want to take a big pot and with a french fries cutter make fries out of your potatoes and eggs. It's the quickest way to cut potatoes for potato salad in my opinion but you can also use a knife if you don't have this little gadget.

Then you'll want to cut your onion, pickles and carrots to small pieces, for this we use a food processor because it's easier and it saves time and also I don't like that crunchy little onion bits in my teeth. Now you'll just have to assemble all the ingredients and mix it all together.

So put your cut onions, carrots and pickles to the potatoes and eggs, add your peas don't forget to drain them you don't want that juice in there. But on the other hand you'll going to want to use some pickle juice to make the salad more flavorful and juicy, so put about 4 tbsp of pickle juice in there, you can put more if you like your salad a bit more sour. Then continue by adding your mustard, mayonnaise and sour cream.


Last step is to mix it all up really well so that all the flavors get combined. You can also add a little bit more of mayo if you feel like it's dry, or a little bit more of pickle juice or a little bit more of mustard this really depends on your personal taste. Also add your salt this is very personal but I would say we use about 1 tbsp or less of salt we don't really measure it. And don't forget about some pepper too, we use about a teaspoon or less this is also personal.


That's it when you're confident with the taste of your salad you can eat it straight away or let it sit in the fridge for couple hours, that will allow all the flavors to really combine and bring out the true flavor of this salad.

I hope that you liked today's recipe, as I said it's something a little bit different than what I have done previously but I like changing things up a little bit. Until next time, bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment