2/21/2016

My Favorite Destinations * Top 5 Places to visit | CROATIA

Hello everybody,
After my, Life in France series concluded I trying to figure out a way how to bring travel related posts back on my blog and so I've come up with a new series called My Favorite Places ! Over the years I have visited several countries that I just fell in love with, during my visits I usually see like a billion things and billion places but only couple of them really make it to my top list. So that's what I would like to share with you today, and there's no better country for me to start with than with Croatia ! Today I'm going to share my top 5 places in Croatia, I would also like to do a follow up to this one that would talk about the top 5 things to try while in Croatia cause, this country has just so much to offer. First let me give you a little backstory on why Croatia.

I have been to Croatia like a million and 1 times and it really feels like home to there. We go there every year with my family, including my extended family like my grandparents, I'm talking about a serious family vacation :D I first went to Croatia when I was maybe 6 or 7 I don't really remember but since then, me and my family return to Croatia to rejoice and enjoy this beautiful country again and again.

If anyone is wondering Croatia is situated in Europe opposite to Italy, many of you may still recognize this country by the name Yugoslavia which is just history today. It's one of the top destinations for family all across the central and eastern Europe especially. For us this country feels really like a second home cause our languages are really similar so it's very easy to talk to everyone even if they don't speak english then another thing is that Croatian people are just one of the nicest people on Earth they are so generous and welcoming they really value their guests ! But let's get to the top 5 because I can ramble about this country for hours :D (I'm going to start from 5 and make my way towards number 1)

5. Split

So Split is a fairly big city with its population of over 178 thousand of inhabitants. It's situated in southern part of Croatia really close to Dubrovnik(which I heard is a beautiful city we're actually going there this year) There's also an airport located right before you enter to the city so it's a very reachable location for people that didn't come by car to Croatia as we do for example. This city offers you a nice historic centre as almost every bigger town in Croatia would, but what makes this city a little bit special is the fact that because it's bigger there's a little bit more things going down. This city really lives, you're going to find here hundreds of restaurants that serve the best home made food that you can imagine, of course expect a lot of fresh seafood. The main dominant of this city is its huge Cathedral of Saint Dominius that is right in the middle of the main square, you can actually climb up the clock tower and see the amazing view of the city, we've even seen a hot tub on top a building from up there :D Apart from this you're going to satisfy you're shopping craving also, little street markets are in every street and they are full of various items including souvenirs, clams, painting or even clothing.





4. Primošten

This is a smaller town than Split and also it's situated a little bit more up north than Split. This city has for me even more character than Split mainly because of the fact that the city is build on huge rocks and almost everytime when we visited Primošten there were some big waves smashing on to these rocks it's really an amazing thing to experience. And the best time to really visit this town is when the sun sets. First start with a delicious dinner in one of the local restaurants with a view of the sea and then take a walk along this rocky mountain that is just going to impress all of your senses. Smell of the ocean, the ocean breeze, there's everything you would want from a city like this.




3. Trogir

This one is very similar to Primošten but a little bit bigger in my opinion, as in the last case it is another beautiful town situated in the heart of Croatia. It's packed surounded by beautoful mountains that give sich a majestic feeling to the old town. You can find a lot of remparts and historical building in the old city center with a really high clock tower also. Like in Split you have the option to climb to the top and enjoy the best view over the whole city ! At the end of your visit make sure to visit a local market that's packed with fresh produce including fruits, lavender, olives and a lot more. If you don't feel like cooking for yourself you're going to surely find a great place to eat in Trogir also and if you'd like to take home something special don't forget to get a portrait of you painted right by the shore next to the city center.




2. Šibeník

City of my heart, many of you may ask why, well basically we live just 5 minutes from this city so we know practically everything in this town. Every morning we visit the local market for some fresh ingredients of course we have to stop buy a local bakery that is packed with all kinds of pastry and bread like in a french boulangerie. In the afternoon you can enjoy a day on the beach enjoying well known Croatian beaches and in the evening you can start exploring the old town that is full of little streets that seem to have a lot of secrets to uncover. Stop by a little garden full of exotic plants, or by the castle everything has it's own feel to it that you're going to fall in love with. And to finish of the night go ahead and enjoy some of the best ice cream or a delicious desert in a small café on the shoreline.







1. Zadar

One of the biggest cities in Croatia will enchant you. As the other ones this one has a beautiful historic center but this time with a modern twist. The main square is lit up with lights and last year we've even seen a light show there. In this city you're going to find one of the biggest markets that's full of everything you can possibly imagine from sweets to iphone cases, really anything. Don't forget to stop by the beach and enjoy some alone time and finish your day with a great pizza or if you're curious about local cuisine feel free to try a traditional dish called Pleskavica.



Overall you really can't go wrong with any of the cities mentioned above but in reality Croatia is full of cities that offer good food, fun for the whole family and even some sightseeing it really depends just on your location. The cities that I've mentioned are mostly situated in the central part of Croatia because that's the part that I know the most. I hope that with this post I gave you at least a little bit of Croatian vibe and some motivation to visit this beautiful sometimes understated country that is ready to welcome you at any time !


No comments:

Post a Comment